The crucial role of technology is to lead us towards more efficient & time saving methods which help achieve our goals faster. The illustration of the workflow is to show what architects will lose if they do not adopt BIM methods.
2 Efficient Workflow vs. Typical Workflow
The typical workflow varies a lot from one project to another and involves different software at different stages. Also, while transferring the information to another software, there is a high possibility of data manipulation or, in some cases, the possibility of the data being lost.
3 Integrated Design Workflow using BIM
Schematic Design (SD):
- Presentation, documentation and analysis of the workflow is performed using a single software, unlike the traditional methods, where you need different software for different workflows.
- The ability to explore various concepts in a faster and more efficient way through a 3D BIM model.
- These 3D models allow various concepts to accurately analyse and provide the option to compare each concept against the zoning code or energy standards etc.
- Performing Sun-Path analysis and energy simulation is quicker and provides accurate data which supports the architect’s idea.
Design Development (DD):
- Parametric objects in a 3D BIM environment provide an ease to change the design according to the architect’s will.
- Photorealistic rendering is faster that helps architects and the clients in visualising spaces and design.
- Fabrication workflow like 3D printing & laser cutting can be done from the Virtual Building Model.
- Generating and extracting information like the material quantity & the room fiinish schedule is easier compared to the manual counting process in CAD drafting.
- Allows collaborative decision-making
Construction Documentation (CD):
- Real-time sheet work is possible as BIM allows smart documentation while creating 3D models.
- “Change Anywhere Change Everywhere” concept helps make the revsions faster and a lot more efficiently, unlike traditional approaches.
- The on-site collaboration is easier using 3D BIM models which reduces frequent site visits and conflicts.
- Real-time communication makes the flow of the teamwork smoother.
- Interdisciplinary clash detection and coordination at fingertip saves time and energy.
- Accurate quantity take off helps with the onsite material savings.
- Project management & the integration of control tools becomes smooth and frictionless.
- 3D Information rich model makes digital fabrication and manufacturing workflow easy.
- Shared risks and rewards
- Integration with FM and BMS without any data loss.
To sum up, Integrated Design Workflow or IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) saves 35% more time and allows these architect in delivering efficient projects.
For Training, Case Studies and Information on IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) contact the Virtual Building Studio.
About Virtual Building Studio:
Virtual Building Studio provides high quality, time bound and cost-effective Building Information Modelling (BIM) Services. Visit us at www.virtualbuildingstudio.com