The major role of technology is to lead human being towards more efficient & time saving methods to achieve the goal, so as BIM. This illustration of workflow here is to show; what Architect will lose on if they do not adopt BIM.
2 Efficient Workflow vs. Typical Workflow
Typical Workflow varies a lot from project to project, involves different software at different stage and while transferring the information to another software there is high possibility of data manipulation or in some cases data being lost.
3 Integrated Design Workflow using BIM
Schematic Design (SD):
- Presentation, Documentation and analysis workflow performed in single software, unlike the traditional method where you need different software for each workflow.
- Ability to explore various concepts in a faster and efficient way through 3D BIM model.
- 3D model allows various concepts to accurately analyse and provide the option to compare each concept against zoning code or Energy Standards etc.
- Performing Sun-Path analysis and Energy simulation is quicker and provides accurate data which supports the Architect’s idea.
Design Development (DD):
- Parametric objects in 3D BIM environment provides an ease to change the design to Architects.
- Photorealistic Rendering is faster that helps Architect and client in visualising spaces and design.
- Fabrication workflow like 3D printing & Laser cutting can be done from the Virtual Building model.
- Generating and extracting information like Material Quantity & Room Finish Schedule is very easy compared to the manual counting process in CAD drafting.
- Allows collaborative decision making
Construction Documentation (CD):
- Real-time Sheet work as BIM allows smart documentation while creating 3D.
- “Change Anywhere Change Everywhere” concept makes the revision process easier and faster, unlike the traditional approach.
- Onsite collaboration is easy using 3D BIM Model which reduces frequent site visit and conflicts.
- Real-time communication makes teamwork flow smooth
- Interdisciplinary Clash detection and coordination at fingertip saves time and energy.
- Accurate Quantity take off helps onsite material saving.
- Project management & control tools integration becomes smooth and frictionless.
- 3D Information rich model makes Digital Fabrication and manufacturing workflow easy.
- Shared Risk and Rewards
- Integration with FM and BMS without any data loss.
To sum up, Integrated Design Workflow or IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) saves 35% time and allows Architect in delivering an efficient project.
For Training, Case Studies and Information on IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) contact Virtual Building Studio.
About Virtual Building Studio:
Virtual Building Studio provides High Quality, Time Bound and Cost-Effective Building Information Modelling (BIM) Services. Visit us at www.virtualbuildingstudio.com